Hey everyone, today I want to talk with everyone about article marketing and show you if this way of marketing is still effective in 2015 or is it dead? If you aren’t familiar with how this process works, here’s a basic rundown of it below.
Here’s how it works:
- You submit articles to article directories like Ezine, street articles, Squidoo and many others.
- It gets published in their directory
- Other people can download it and put it on their site.
- You are provided with a resource box where you can put a link to your website.
- Depending on the size, you were also able to add 2 or 3 links to your website within your article.
- The whole idea here was to get people to read it and want more information which in turn would draw traffic to your site.
This would also be a great way to obtain high-quality backlinks.
What’s the whole purpose of using article directories in the first place?
This used to be one of the best ways to build backlinks to your site and get targeted traffic to your niche website. Article directories also used to rank really high in the search engines before people started abusing the system. More on that later.
If you had a backlink from a high ranking authority site then this would give your website higher ranking in the search engines as well.
If you could keep people engaged and interested in your article and you made good use of the 2 call to action links you were provided with. People would click through to your website and take action in what you were offering.
Is article marketing still effective in 2015?
With SEO changing so much due to all these Google algorithm updates over the past few years. Article directories are slowly being phased out. In the past few algorithm’s updates, Google has deemed these as low-quality sources and don’t rank them as high as they used too.
Check out what Matt Cutts had to say about this here
Back in 2012-2013 this was a great way to drive traffic to your website and also a great way to build backlinks, but not so much in 2015.
Want to stay updated on what techniques work today and dominate the first page of Google? Click here
What killed article directories and deemed them as a low-quality source?
I’m sure you have probably heard of article spinners haven’t you? Basically, this is a piece of software that will duplicate any article into several hundred copies and reword it a little different each time.
Each article would have a link going back to your website, and these articles would be distributed to thousands of article directories. Do you guys see the problem here? The majority of these sites were very low quality and not the kind of backlink you would want to go to your site.
Now you’ve got at least a thousand backlinks out there, all leading back to your site and most of them are completely worthless!
This is called black hat SEO and you might as well kiss your online business goodbye if you start doing any of this.
Along comes Google Panda!!
Google has been keeping an eye on all of this and they know all about article spinners. This is exactly why they rolled out Panda. Some of the most popular directories out there were hit hard along with any websites that had poor quality content.
How to build natural and high-quality backlinks today
As you are building out your website in 2015 backlinks aren’t really that big of a deal when it comes to SEO.
Here are a few ways you can build backlinks naturally
- Leaving high-quality comments on other people’s website who are in the same niche as you
- Sharing your posts to social media
- Getting other people to share your posts and like them or +1 them
- Going to forums related to your niche and placing your link in your signature
- Have other high-quality websites link to you
So what still works today and how can you stay on top of things in the SEO world?
I wouldn’t completely rule out article directories just yet. There are still many people who still use them today, but they are slowly becoming a thing of the past. You could spend years trying to figure out SEO and you still wouldn’t even come close to cracking the code on it. However, there’s only a handful of things you really need to know.
I have listed them for you below:
- Focus 100% on your website and writing high-quality content for it
- Make sure you do proper keyword research before you write a post
- You only need to have your keyword in the title and first paragraph. After that just write naturally and use related keywords to get your point across
- Socially share your posts to social media sites and encourage comments or questions
- Respond to comments as soon as you get them, but first make sure they are relevant to your post before approving them
These are just a few tips for you to follow. SEO is constantly changing every day and it would nearly be impossible to stay on top of it all by yourself. Wouldn’t it be great if there was a place that kept you up to date on the latest Google algorithm’s and taught you the proper way to build an online business?
Well, I got some great news for you my friend! Wealthy Affiliate is the place that has kept me updated on what’s working today and what will work in the future. If you’re looking to gain infinite knowledge on SEO, how to build websites, and how to get them to generate revenue for you each month. You seriously need to check them out guys.
The best thing is that you can get started for FREE and try out everything they have to offer without risking a dime of your own money. I will also be there to help you every step of the way if you have any questions or need my help.
I really hope this post has helped you out and answered some questions you might have had about article directories. I also hope I have shed some light on whether this is still an effective marketing strategy or not. I would love to hear your comments, questions, or any feedback you have for me in the comments below.
I will reply back to you A.S.A.P and answer any questions you have for me.
Your Friend, Scott