Hey everyone, I hope you are doing well today. I have received quite a few emails lately from people asking me what is an upsell and what a down sell is. I thought instead of answering all these emails I would just blog about it so that everyone had a chance to benefit from it instead of just a few people. In this blog post, I will be going into detail on what an upsell is as well as what a down sell is.
Let’s Get Started!!
Upsells Are Everywhere!
Whenever you go to McD’s do you notice that the cashier always tries to sell you something else when you place your order? “Would you like to get 2 Apple pies for $1 today?” Even though they call it suggestive selling that’s just another fancy name for it. The proper term for this is Upselling.
It doesn’t matter where you go, upsells are everywhere. Just the other day I went to Fazolis and was asked if I wanted extra cheese on my lasagna. This is another example of an upsell.
What Is An Upsell?
This is where you’re offered extra products or services that in some cases you don’t really need. You see this no matter where you go and it’s just another marketing tactic used in an effort to gain more sales.
Here are a few examples of upsells below
- When you buy a new computer from an electronics store like Best Buy they offer you a warranty with it or suggest you buy a monitor to go along with it.
- When you buy a remote controlled car from a toy store, you are offered batteries.
- When you buy a gaming system you are offered a game for 50% off
What’s the reasoning behind upsells and why do retailers do this?
Simple, because you already have your wallet out and you are in the “Yes I’m buying something mode” already. It also makes sense to offer you a discounted game for that brand new gaming system you just bought simply because it’s not going to do you much good if you don’t have any games for it now would it?
In order for an upsell to be effective it needs to happen at the time of purchase and the item you’re offering needs to be relevant to what you’re buying.
How do upsells work in the internet marketing industry?
This works a little different in the online business world and it’s not the same as it is in the world of retail.
Let me break this down for you and show you a few key differences!!
- Instead of the products being relevant to each other they are only somewhat related and in most cases aren’t needed
- They can be pretty sneaky sometimes and trick you into buying extra products or services by having a box checked where you’ll be entering into a recurring payment every month. (Always read the fine print) I actually did a review on a product that does this and you can check it out here
- When you buy a make money online course they lock certain parts of it and charge you extra money to gain access to the entire program.
- They make it seem like you absolutely need the product offered in the upsell.(Upsells should accommodate the product not be needed to make the original product work)
- They use something I like to call hook and bait. They usually hook you with a “FREE” or discounted offer and once they get you inside they bombard you with products or services that they claim you need if you want to make money.
What’s A Downsell?
A down sell occurs whenever you abandon your shopping cart or walk away from the offer being presented to you. I’m sure many of you have probably experienced this many times and may not have known the proper term for it.
Here are a few examples of this so that you can get a better idea of what I’m talking about.
You are presented with a make money online package which sells for $47 and if you try and exit the page a pop-up appears offering you that same product at a discounted price.
Another form of a down sell could be them offering to give you something for free in exchange for your email address like you see in the screenshot to your right.
Once they get your email they can send you a variety of different products and services.
This is their last attempt to try and make a sale and you’ll see this whenever you try to click out of their sales page.
My final thoughts on upsells, down sells and the different ways of selling
Upsells and down sells can be a great way to increase your overall sales and I think it’s a great marketing technique that internet marketers should take advantage of if you go about it in the right way. Overall you need to make sure you are providing your readers and potential customers with value.
The product or products you are up-selling or down-selling also needs to be relevant to your initial product and needs to provide a solution to what people are searching for because how do you think they landed on your site to begin with?
Don’t try and trick people by using shady marketing techniques just to get people to buy your product. Provide them with value and you’ll find that you will have much better success this way. I always recommend Wealthy Affiliate as a way to learn the proper way to run an online business and be successful in marketing your products and services to your potential customers.
I really hope this has helped you guys out today and that I have been able to clear up any confusion you may have had about the whole process of how upsells work and the proper way to offer them to your potential customers.
I would love to hear your thoughts on this and answer any questions you may still have on this subject. Feel free to leave them for me below and I will get back to you A.S.A.P.
Your Friend, Scott