Many people who are just getting started online and are new to internet marketing think that they can just hire a writer to write content for them and the money will just start flowing. This may seem like an easy way out for some people, but today I want to talk with you about why this is a bad idea and how this can actually hurt you when you are starting out in the online world.
Why It’s Not A Good Idea To Outsource When You First Start Out Online
To be completely honest with everyone here today, this is one of the first things that popped in my head as well, 3 years ago when I first started. There are many reasons why people think this way and I will go into detail and list them below.
- Their writing and grammar sucks and they think they aren’t capable of writing engaging articles
- They don’t have time
- They lack the confidence
- They have likely been brainwashed by IM gurus who promise instant money for NO work
When you make the decision to hire a writer there are quite a few things you need to consider if you want to have a successful website that ranks for lots of awesome low hanging fruit keywords.
- Your writer needs some guidance from you so that he/she knows what you expect from them (Lay out some rules)
- You need to know a little about SEO and Internet marketing so you know what mistakes to look for
- You need to have a budget of how much you want to spend each month (Don’t go over your budget)
- You’ll still need to format the content and add relevant images so that it’s ready to publish so this takes some time
Now guess what? If you are new and not that experienced with any of this then you’ll likely end up spending lots of money and seeing little to NO return on your investment. It’s always good to learn new skills that will help you earn more money later on.
Here Are A Few Things To Keep In Mind Before Hiring Anyone To Do Work On Your Site
When you make the decision to start an online business it’s up to you to build a good reputation and build a solid relationship with your future visitors. Remember, behind every search online there is a real person who is looking for help and searching for answers to their initial search query.
Do you really want to trust someone from Fiverr or some inexperienced writer to build that reputation for you? You need to do some thorough and in depth research on where to find experienced and high quality writers who have lots of knowledge about your particular niche.
They also need to be able to provide value and be able to help you build an awesome first impression when people visit your website.
The main problem I seem to have with the few writers that I’ve given a chance to write for my website is:
- They love to overuse the keyword(Keyword Stuffing)
- They copy images from other websites(Plagiarism)
- They aren’t writing in a conversational tone(Engaging with my audience)
- They don’t come up with a catchy or interesting headline. You only have a couple of seconds to grab your readers attention.
- They lack the basic skills required to write a good article that will get ranked on the first page of Google
Do you really want to pay someone to write an article, only to have to spend a couple hours going over all of their mistakes and getting it ready to be published?
When Is The Best Time To Hire A Writer And Start Outsourcing Your Work?
Based purely off my personal experience I would say that you should give yourself at least a year before you start outsourcing your content. This way you have a pretty good understanding of how SEO works and what Google expects from you as a webmaster. You should also have successfully ranked multiple web pages on the first page of Google and have a decent amount of revenue coming in each and every month.
There’s no sense in paying out money if you aren’t making money right? After you have accomplished these things you could start searching for a writer for your website. A good place to start would be somewhere like upwork.com (Formally Odesk) or Freelancer.com. Another thing you could do once you are getting a good deal of traffic to your site is put up an ad like I have done on your website asking for experienced writers to do some work for you.
I have had a few hits from doing this but still haven’t found a writer that I like and who meets my requirements.
Where’s The Best Place To Learn How To Be A Great Writer And How To Build A Website Step By Step?
I have always recommended Wealthy Affiliate to everyone who asks me the question above for the simple fact that
- It’s Free to get started
- You are surrounded by like-minded people who have already been successful building websites who would love to help you out and share their experience with you(Myself included)
- Anyone can learn how to build a website and learn how to get awesome rankings in Google, regardless of how bad of a writer you may think you are, if you are computer illiterate, or if the thought of building a website scares you.
- Their training is so simple and easy to follow that a kindergartener can follow it and become successful with it
Trust me when I first started out in this business I knew how to check my facebook, email, and do a few other simple tasks online. In the 2 and a half years that I have been making money online, I have shown hundreds of people how to build a website from scratch and gain multiple first page rankings on Google and I would love to help you do the same thing.
Before you can be successful with outsourcing your work to other people, you first need to understand how everything works and the purpose of creating content in the first place. Once you get a better understanding of online marketing and website building in general you’ll be in a much better position to hire other people to work for you.
I really hope this has helped everyone out today and hopefully I have been able to answer any questions you may have had surrounding this topic. If there was anything I wasn’t clear on, or if I happened to skip over something and you still have questions about outsourcing when you first start out, please leave them for me in the comments below this article.
I want to hear everyone’s thoughts on this subject. Have you thought about outsourcing your entire website to someone else when you first started out in this business? Did you actually go through with it, and if so how did it turn out?
I would love to hear about your experience and I’m sure other people would as well. Leave it for me below and I will get back to you A.S.A.P
Your Friend, Scott